What can I drive with a Class 1 or 3 license?


There are several classes of licenses in Alberta. But when it comes to a Class 1 or 3 license in Alberta, you cannot get your license until you have held your Class 7 for one year, then driven with a Class 5 non-GDL for at least 2 years. Upon the completion of your exam to have your GDL removed, you are able to upgrade to all other classes of licenses.

Class 1 Can drive any class or vehicle, including motorcycle as a learner

Class 2 Can drive any vehicle that a Class 3, 4 or 5 driver can drive, plus Class 1 and Class 6 vehicles as a learner

Class 3 Can drive any motor vehicle that the holder of a Class 5 license may drive; a single motor vehicle with 3 or more axles; a motor vehicle with 3 or more axles that is towing a trailer with one or more axles (if the trailer is not equipped with air brake); a Class 2 or 4 type vehicle without passengers (bus, taxi, ambulance); a Class 1, 2 or 6 vehicle as a learner

Class 4 Can drive a taxi, ambulance or bus (including a school or kindergarten bus) that seats fewer than 25 people including the driver; all motor vehicles included under Class 5; a Class 1, 2, 3 or 6 vehicle as a learner

Class 5 non GDL Can drive a two-axle single motor vehicle; a motorhome without air brake; a vehicle towing a trailer with one or more axles if the trailer is not equipped with air brake; a moped, a recreational vehicle, or any combination of recreational vehicles and a trailer, if the trailer has two axles or less, and isn’t equipped with air brake

Class 5 GDL As above, with some restrictions: zero alcohol limit, cannot supervise a class 7 learner, cannot drive with more passengers than seat belts and license will be suspended at 8 demerit points (rather than 15 for the Class 5 Non-GDL driver).

Class 6 Can drive a motorcycle or moped; all other vehicles under Class 5 as a learner (unless licensed with another class in addition to the Class 6 license)

Class 7 Can drive any vehicle that a Class 5 driver can drive, but only under supervision of a driver over the age of 18 who holds a Class 5 non-GDL license. Learner drivers cannot drive between 12 midnight and 5 am and are subject to the same additional restrictions of a Class 5 GDL driver.

When you’re ready, you can start your training for your Class 1 or 3 license. Since Class 1 can drive any vehicle, you can see why it is considered to be the “most valuable” or the “cream of the crop”. In order to do your Class 1 road test, you must complete your written test at a Registry office, a driver’s medical, and your Air Brake “Q” endorsement. Whether you have a little or a lot of experience on a 13- or 18-speed transmission can affect how many hours of training you may require prior to your road test.

Once you have your Class 1 license, you will be required to provide a Driver’s Medical every 5 years to age 39, 4 years to age 40, 3 years to age 41, then every 2 years from age 42-62, and annually thereafter.

At this time, there are no medical certificate requirements in Alberta for Class 3. However, you should be aware that other jurisdictions (i.e. the U.S.) may require a medical certificate at the border crossing, so you do need to make sure you know about requirements for any other jurisdiction where you may be driving with your Class 3 license.